If you have done research about Canadian schools and the cost of studying in Canada, you will discover that Canadian schools are not the cheapest. They likely not the most expensive, but considering the standard and quality of education they offer, you mostly not tag the money spent as ‘too expensive.
There are great universities in Canada among the best in the world, and when you look at the benefits of studying in Canada plus how conducive the country is, you’d have no other option but just wish to be there. International students submit thousands of applications each year to get a chance to study and live in Canada.
Studying in Canada is not cheap, but there are means through which students are affording or financing their studies such as scholarships, grants, student loans, student jobs, etc. As part of the benefits international students enjoy, the Canadian government allows international students to take up jobs in Canada while still studying in school.
There are also scholarships provided for domestic and international students in Canada as a way to aid students to finance the studies. Some of the scholarships provided are fully-funded, and many others are partially funded. The sources of these scholarships are the Canadian government, private or nonprofit organizations in Canada or outside Canada, Canadian universities, etc.
Different types of Scholarships in Canada
Scholarships Provided By the Canadian Government
This type of scholarship is hosted or provided by the Canadian government for studies in Canada. So students looking to study in Canada can benefit from this scholarship.
- Brief Description: Scholarship for Postgraduate international students who are taking a course program in the field of natural sciences or health research at an accredited university in Canada
- Amount: $3000
Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
- Brief Description: scholarship provided by the Canadian government for doctoral international students studying in a Canadian university
- Amount: $6000
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
Brief Description: A famous scholarship provided by the Canadian government for doctoral international students studying in a Canadian university.
- Brief Description: A Merit-Based Scholarship provided by the Canadian government and awarded to outstanding international students who are taking a course program in the field of natural sciences or engineering at an accredited university in Canada
- Amount: $9000
Scholarships Provided By the Non-Governmental Organizations
- Brief Description: Aspiring doctoral students studying at an accredited institution in Canada is eligible to receive this award.
- Amount: $4,000
- Brief Description: This scholarship is available for students in the following level high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You are required to submit an essay or a personal statement.
- Amount: $2000
- Brief Description: All British Postgraduate students studying at an accredited or recognized school in Canada are eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Amount: $5000
Some University Scholarships in Canada
- Brief Description: Graduate scholarship available for all international students to study at Carleton University
- Amount: $6000
- UBC Graduate Scholarships https://www.grad.ubc.ca/scholarships-awards-funding/award-opportunities
- Brief Description: Scholarship award given to qualified graduate and doctoral students to study at the University of British Columbia
- Brief Description: a variety of scholarships provided by the University of Alberta for international Undergraduates and Graduate students.
- Amount: $5,000
- Brief Description: Scholarships provided for international students to study at any level and in different course programs.
- Amount: $20000
- Brief Description: Scholarships provided for international and domestic undergraduate students at the University
- Amount: $11,500
- University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Ontario-Graduate-Scholarship.aspx
- Brief Description: The Ontario Graduate Scholarship is available for domestic and international students studying at the University of Saskatchewan
- Amount: $5,000
- Brief Description: this is a merit-based scholarship is available for undergraduate international students who wish to study an undergraduate course program offered at the university.
- Amount: $1,500 – $10,000