As an international student looking to study in Canada, it is important you prove your language proficiency, and for those who chose English as their first language, one of the most accepted proof is the IELTS score result. So yes, having an IELTS is a vital requirement when you apply for admission to study at any university in Canada.
However, there still other ways to study in Canada without having to go through the hassle of preparing and writing the IELTS exam.
Understanding IELTS and Its Importance
Although we discussed more on IELTS and how to gain high scores on one sitting in our post here, we will still touch briefly on what it means here. International English Language Testing System is an international exam for English speaking immigrants or visa applicant. It is used to measure the language proficiency of English speaking immigrants who wish to work, study, or become permanent residents in Canada.
The exam is categorized into 4 parts in Reading, Writing, Listening and speaking. Each requires you to obtain a minimum score of at least 6.0 and above to reach the pass mark. You can read more about IELTS here to know what score is required. This article however covers how you can bypass writing any language test exam as a student, and still study at a recognized institute in Canada.
Here Are Some Of The Reasons Why Students are Considering Not Taking IELTS Exam
- Not that the exam is so hard, but many people actually fail the test and then have to pay again to write the test over again.
- There is no fee refund for applicants who fail the test, and you pay a new fee each time you apply to write the test.
- The exam is usually conducted face-to-face which can cause you to be nervous and make mistakes and being nervous does not really help you in this type of exam.
- You need to prepare for the test, some people actually go an extra step to enroll in classes and buy courses to help them prepare better and this can even cost you more.
- Failing IELTS will mean wasting more time to gain admission in Canada and not too many international students want to be in that shoe. There are different alternatives for students who wish not to write an IELTS test.
Alternatives to Study in Canada without IELTS.
Other ways you can study in Canada without IELTS test are listed below:
Find Admission in Universities Where IELTS is Not Required:- there are top schools and institutions in Canada that doesn’t require you to have an IELTS score to study in Canada. Some universities will still however want you to prove that you can communicate efficiently in the English language. They provide their own form of language testing at the school. So students can provide their English language proficiency when they are already in school. There are also universities that do not require any language proof at all and some of these schools are listed below. Okanagan College
- Concordia University
- Cambrian College
- Memorial University
- Seneca College, Toronto
- University of Regina
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Winnipeg
- Brock University
- Carleton University
Obtain An English Proficiency Certificate From Canada:- International students who completed all their subjects in the English language, can obtain an English proficiency certificate from their school and not have to write IELTS or any other English language test exam.
Complete An English Language Course Program Online:- it is much easier to pass an online English course program than IELTS. So instead of presenting the IELTS Score, you can pass these courses and present them as your proof of language proficiency.Follow Us Now